Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park
Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park was originally founded as "Rai Mae Fah Luang" in 1979 - 1985 by the Hill Tribe Youth Leadership Project to support the education of hill tribe youths from remote areas. Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park is in the west of Mueng Chiang Rai, in an area of over 150 rai. Inside, it features four main buildings:
- Ho Kham (Kham Hall) is a four-sided Lanna architectural building with a tiled roof. It is home to a collection of artifacts and Buddhist art, including Lanna-style Buddha images and wood carvings used in Buddhism, as well as the "Phra Phra To" Buddha image, which is inscribed as having been built in 1693.
- Ho Kham Noi (Kham Noi Hall) is a stone building (laterite) with a tiled roof. It houses tempera murals painted on teak wood panels. It is believed to have been painted in the early Rattanakosin period (during the reign of King Rama V) by Tai Lue painters.
- Ho Kaew (Kaew Hall) is an exhibition space for exhibitions about teak wood and contemporary art.
- Sala Kaew (Kaew Pavilion) is a large wooden pavilion used for a variety of activities, including conferences, banquets, and performances.
Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park is a cultural and artistic tourist destination suitable for Lanna culture and nature enthusiasts. It is a great place to spend the day admiring the beauty of the buildings and walk through the botanical garden, learn about Lanna culture, and relax in the beautiful natural surroundings of Chiang Rai.
Artists: Citra Sasmita, Ernesto Neto, Haegue Yang, Nguyen Trinh Thi, Ryusuke Kido, Tarek Atoui, Tawatchai Puntusawasdi, Tayeba Begum Lipi, Vuth Lyno
Photo credit: Mae Fah Luang Foundation