Tobacco Warehouse of Tobacco Authority of Thailand, Chiang Rai Office
The tobacco warehouse was originally used as tobacco leaves storage where the leaves were delivered from various parts of Chiang Rai. It is located within the Chiang Rai Tobacco Office compound, which was founded by the British-American Tobacco (Thailand) Company Limited (B.A.T.) in 1933. The company originally set up its office on leased land. The government acquired the company's business from the private sector. The Excise Department began the process in 1941. Later, it had purchased the land and premises from East Asiatic Company Limited at Thanalai Road, and then moved the tobacco office to its current location in 1942. After that, the construction of the Chiang Rai Tobacco Office building began in 1964 and was later opened in 1966.
The Chiang Rai Tobacco Office building is a two-story reinforced concrete building with a modern architectural style which reflects a period of time in the field of architecture and construction in Thailand, and is still in use today.
Artists: Arto Lindsay, Atta Kwami, Maria Thereza Alves, Shimabuku, Tomas Saraceno
Photo credit: Kitipatra Tandikul, Chanin Phasuriwong